Articles & Papers
If you have written about Lori’s music and would like to have your work posted, or if there are any corrections needed in this information, please contact Lori.
Allen, Helen Teresa
The Songs of Lori Laitman: An Analysis of Sunflowers and Early Snow; Ohio State University, DMA Dissertation, 2013.
Paul is the author of Jean Cras, Polymath of Music and Letters. He has written the entry on my music for The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (Jan 2013). View the content online at www.oxfordmusiconline.com.
Gregory has reviewed many of Lori’s CDs in The Journal of Singing. Below is a partial list.
- Mar/Apr 2012: Vedem
- May/June 2010: Unsleeping
- Jan/Feb 2010: Within These Spaces
- May/June 2007: Becoming a Redwood
- Nov/Dec 2006: The Shining Place
- Jan/Feb 2004: Dreaming
Bryant, Jennifer Michelle
Lori Laitman: The Influence of Prosody on Melodic Content, Accompaniment, and Form in the Songs “Will There Really Be A ‘Morning’?” and “Dear March"; The University of Alabama, DMA Dissertation, 2012.
Judith has reviewed many of Lori’s songs in The Journal of Singing.
- Mar/Apr 2012: The Perfected Life
- Mar/Apr 2010: And Music Will Not End
- Mar/Apr 2008: Equations of The Light
- Jan/Feb 2008: The Seed of Dream
- Jan/Feb 2008: Full Moon and Light Hearted William: Two William Carlos Williams Songs
- Jan/Feb 2006: Becoming a Redwood; Two Dickinson Songs
- Nov/Dec 2005: The Apple Orchard
- Jan/Feb 2005: Living In The Body
- May/June 2004: Armgart
- Jan/Feb 2004: Between The Bliss and Me; Days and Nights; Four Dickinson Songs
- Mar/Apr 2003: Mystery
Recent American Art Song: A Guide. Scarecrow Press, 2008.
Crawford, Mary E.
Dickinson Sings: A Study of a Selection of Lori Laitman’s Settings for High Voice and Piano; University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music, DMA Dissertation, 2013.
Beyond the Butterfly: Recognizing, Reconciling, and Remembering, Music Written Within and in Response to the Terezin Concentration Camp; Michigan State University, DMA Dissertation, 2007.
A Performance Guide to Lori Laitman's "Living In The Body"; Louisiana State University, DMA Dissertation, 2010.
Eisenberg, Susan Dormady
- Lines Written At The Falls; Classical Singer, November, 2006.
- From Art Song To Opera; Classical Singer, October, 2009.
Friedberg, Ruth C. and Fisher, RobinAmerican Art Song and American Poetry, Second Edition, published 2012.
Lori Laitman: A Pedagogical Study of Selected Vocal Works for the Soprano Voice; University of Mississippi, DA, 2008.
Voices of the Holocaust: The Poetry of Children and Adults Set to Music by Lori Laitman. Indiana University, 1999.
Maya Hoover has also lectured and written extensively on Lori’s works:
- Reaching into Untapped Resources: Some Overlooked Treasures of Song Literature; Classical Singer: October 2001.
- Lecture-recital: The Songs of Lori Laitman. Songs Across the Americas Festival, Bolivia, August 2003. Guest artist and lecturer. (Cochabamba, Bolivia)
- 2005 Hawaii International Conference on Arts and the Humanities, Honolulu, Hawaii, Jan 2005. Lecture-recital: Silenced Voices: Singing the Songs of the Oppressed.
Fayetteville Public Library, Fayetteville, Georgia, February 2004. Lecture-recital: Works by Jewish and Latin American composers in celebration of Blended Heritage Month.
Walden University Graduate Education Colloquium, Bloomington, Indiana, June 2002. Lecture- recital: Silenced Voices: Singing the Songs of the Oppressed: Works by African American, Latin American, Jewish, and Female Composers.
Hoyt, Lucy Owen
- Becoming A Redwood: A Genealogy of Expression in Dana Gioia’s Poetry and Lori Laitman’s Song Cycle. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, DMA Dissertation, 2009.
- Music and Gender Expectations: The Historical Record of Women Composers and The Experience of Composer Lori Laitman. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2008.
Songs From The Ashes: An Examination of Three Holocaust-Themed Song Cycles by Lori Laitman; University of Nevada, Las Vegas, DMA Dissertation, 2008.
Kimball, CarolBooks: Song: A Guide to Art Song Style and Literature, 2nd Edition, published 2006. Art Song: Linking Poetry and Music. Published 2013.
- Articles from The Journal of Singing:
- Setting Emily from The Song File, The Journal of Singing, Mar/Apr 2012.
- Song: A Guide To Art Song Style and Literature. Milwaukee: Hal Leonard Corporation, 2006.
- Bright is The Ring of Words from The Song File, The Journal of Singing, Sept/Oct 2009
- Tweaking The Song Recital from The Song Files, The Journal of Singing, Nov/Dec 2009
- A Smorgasbord of Song Groups from The Song File, The Journal of Singing, Jan/Feb 2010
On Songwriting: An interview with composer Lori Laitman; Lyrica, The Newsletter of the Lyrica Society for Word-Music Relations, Issue 29, Fall 2007.
Musicologist Peter Laki is Visiting Associate Professor at Bard College and a frequent program annotator for The Cleveland Orchestra, National Symphony Orchestra, Lincoln Center and numerous other organizations.
Dissertation is about solo song material composed since 1945 on the poetry written by the children incarcerated in the Terezin concentration camp from 1942-1945. Chapter 8 is entitled Lori Laitman and The Song Cycle, “I Never Saw Another Butterfly.” DMA, North Dakota State University, 2008.
The Songs of Lori Laitman; The Journal of Singing, Sept/Oct. 2007.
The Masterful Lori Laitman; The Journal of Singing, Sept/Oct. 2008.
The Scarlet Libretto contains the text for my opera The Scarlet Letter. The preface tells the story of our collaboration.
Lori Laitman and Sara Teasdale: A Performer's Guide to The Metropolitan Tower and Other Songs, Mystery, and The Years. Louisiana State University, DMA Dissertation, 2009.
”The Seed of Dream,” DMA Voice Lecture Recital. The Ohio State University, DMA Lecture Recital, 2015.
Park, Sung Jin
The Poetry of Emily Dickinson: Six Settings by Four American Composers. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, DMA Thesis, 2013.
Rita has reviewed Lori’s music in The Journal of Singing.
Jan/Feb 2012: Dreaming; This Space Available; One Or Two Things
Rider, Sylvia and Oakes, Jeannine
Colloquium Presentation: Memorialization of the Children from The Theresienstadt Ghetto. DVD interview and recital. 1-31-09 Yale Institute of Sacred Music, 2009.
Contemporary Composers’ Use of Literature in Artsong. Janeanne is Assosicate Professor at Hamersly Library, Western Oregon University, publication forthcoming. Interview took place at my home on May 18, 2009.
The Primacy of the Text in the Vocal Chamber Music of Lori Laitman; lecture-recital as part of DMA requirements at The Juilliard School, 2005.
More Classical Music Insights: From Mozart to Muhly and More; Published 2013
From Loose Woman to Moles: The Music of Lori Laitman. Princeton University, BA, 1996.
Snydacker, Sarah Elizabeth
The New American Song: A Catalog of Published Songs by 25 Living American Composers (Chapter XX, pp. 255 – 281), PhD, May 2011, University of Iowa.
To view the dissertation, please click here: http://ir.uiowa.edu/etd/1265/