2007 | Two versions — one for mezzo-soprano and piano; one for mezzo-soprano, piano and flute, although can also work for soprano, tenor or baritone
Poem by Orlando Gibbons, just over 3 minutes long.
For Dr. Carol Kimball. Published in June 2008.
This is a live recording from SongFest 2010, featuring Katarzyna Sadej soprano and Mark McNeill, piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geOkgM6_ZhU
To hear the Vocali3e Trio perform this song with flute, please click here and scroll to "The Silver Swan"
To hear countertenor Brian Asawa and pianist Rudolf Jansen's performance from The Concertgebouw, please click here.
Some newer editions may already have these corrections.
- There should be a "push" marking at the end of m. 11
- Added “think of water, don’t play in strict tempo” as marking at start, and additionally “sing!” for the piano
- M. 23-26 should have a crescendo in both parts, building up to m. 27
- M. 24, I added a tenuto on the A flat on beat 3
- In m. 31 piano, RH, there are some missing notes. There should be a series of 8ths descending from the D flat: D flat, C, B flat, A flat, G flat, F.
- M. 45 piano, added the marking “expressive”
- M. 52 voice: Change Ah on beat 2 to a half note Ah, starting on beat 1
- In Flute Score, remove the “push” from m. 26
- M. 62 – added “Optional Hold on the C”
- There should be a fermatas at the end of the measure in the last measure of the piece, for both flute and piano.
- The last measure should also say “close to mmm” if you'd like in the voice part.